It's Friday, so it's history lesson day! Today's walk was "What's in a Name - Part II" - for streets south of High Holborn.
Click here for a map of the area. We started at usual from Holborn tube station, with our friendly guide Aly leading us again.
Our first stop is Gate Street - which is named simply from the guarded gates that were erected at the entrance to Lincoln's Inn Fields, to protect the residents of the new houses built in 1638. We walk past Little Turnstile of which more later.
We then turn into Whetstone Park
Onwards then into Great Turnstile. This together with Little Turnstile are narrow foot entrances leading into Holborn, these names date from the days when turnstiles were put up to let pedestrians pass through, whilst they stopped the cattle that grazed on Lincoln's Inn Fields from straying.
We then walked down High Holborn until we reached Chancery Lane
(1) The Keeper of the Rolls of Chancery was based in a building built in 1377. This became the Public Record Office which is now situated in a huge new building out at
(2) The Courts of Chancery were near by
(3) Bishop Ralph Neville of
Also with a connection to the Bishop of Chichester is a little lane called Chichester Rents.
We then proceeded to Carey Street
There is another theory that it was named for Nicholas Carey a wealthy nobleman but this is unlikely.
From The Phrase Finder:
Euphemism for being bankrupt or in debt.
This phrase originates from the
"The melancholy gentleman in direful
We then walked into
We walked past Dicken's Old Curiosity Shop and into
In fact, a Roman artesian well was discovered under this building when renovations began last year to the building. It has been bought by the London School of Economics who will use the water from the well to supply the building and will be entirely powered by solar power.
And so to
(1) It was named for Henry de Lacey, the third Earl Lincoln in 1311. The lion in the family crest is the same as that which appears in the coat of arms of
(2) Thomas de Lincoln, who was a Law Officer who took in trainee lawyers in the mid 14th century.
The central fields were, as mentioned earlier, used for grazing. The great architect Inigo Jones decided to build a square of houses, and in 1638 he built 32 houses around three sides of the square. The fourth end holds
Also in the square is the wonderful Sir John Soane's Museum, which is fascinating and holds many interesting treasures. See HERE for Wikipedia on
Finally, we returned to Kingsway, which was only built in 1905, and named for King Edward VII who opened this new road.
An interesting "Walk Around Holborn" in black and white photos can be found HERE
So there we are - the end of this week's history lesson. I hope you enjoyed it!
Until next week....(Very Old Holborn - Buildings from before the Great Fire of London)